Friday, June 13, 2008

Insta-Salad: A Guide for Delicious Salads

Alright, here we are, by popular demand, instructions (with artistic pictures) for making a MOST delicious salad that should last roughly two weeks. Yum!


Step One: Select the perfect container
Oooooooooh... look a big bowl.....

Step Two: Assemble the materials -
Romaine Lettuce
Baby Spinach (yeah for added iron)
Fresh Dill
Crunchy Veggie Toppers

(Romaine lettuce has a longer life than Green or Red lettuce, and also has more nutritional value than Iceberg Lettuce)
My crunchy veggie toppers of choice are cauliflower and baby carrots, but of course there are lots of other tasty things to add in as well: Peppers, Almonds, Snow Peas, Broccoli, Ginger, Chicken, Black Beans.. you get the idea.
(I use dill to add some more zest to the mix. My old roommate liked to add Cilantro and even occasionally Mint.)

Step Three: Rinse the Lettuce
(Notice the droplet of water artistically suspended in mid-air... naaaaaaiiice)

Step Four: Chop the Crunchy Veggie Toppers
This way, while the lettuce is drying, you can cut up the veggies for easy assembly (or snacking) later.

Step Five: Chopping and Layering
I use a knife to chop the lettuce and spinach, rather than rip it, simply because it goes faster this way. I chop the lettuce, spinach and the dill as I go, so that it is a more consistent and thorough mix.

Ok, for the layers, I start with a layer of paper towel on the bottom. Keeping the greens dry is the key element.
(See the mixed spinach, lettuce and dill.. Yum)
The second layer is just more of the same - don't scrimp on the paper towel.. thinner lettuce layers stay dryer and last longer.
Finally, once the layering is complete, cover the whole thing with one last layer of paper towels to keep the top layer fresh and stash it in your fridge!

I keep my Crunchy Veggie Toppers in separate containers; open, but in water. This way, when I want a salad, I just grab a handful of lettuce and stuff and add whatever toppings look good. Keeping the toppings in water keeps them hydrated and fresh but allows for quick munches whenever you open the fridge door :) (Just watch out for freezing.)

And there you have it! Insta-salad.

4 comments:

Dorine said...

Hello Kate,
Looks like a good salad!! This is a creative way of showing it!! I have decided to join this crazy blog that you are DoriAnn are doing. Who knows, I may actually lose some of the weight that I want to lose too!! That would be exciting!! A size smaller for a certain wedding would be fun!! I love you lots!!

Mom

Ritsumei said...

This is hillarious!!! And super tasty looking. Can't wait to try it.

Ritsumei said...

I bragged on this post all through the vacation. Everyone agreed that not only is the model lovely, but the salad looks great!

misskate said...

Haha!! I'm glad that it is proving helpful :) Hooray for cheeky posts!

Tickers!

Ritsumei

misskate


Emma

Dorine
OldLady25