Sunday, March 1, 2009

In Praise of Water


I went to Mom & Dad's house this weekend, and we had dinner. It was yummy: spaghetti and salad. There was also chocolate milk on the table which I enjoyed very much. That is, I did until I looked at the label and realized that for the brief pleasure of a glass of milk I had spent 170 calories or so. And I'd had more than 1. I usually know it when I'm sabotaging myself, but I'd been completely blindsided by this one. Nothing to do about it but enjoy the fact that I'd been to the ice rink earlier in the day and skated for an hour and a half. At least I did a good job on the exercise!

Just one more reason to love water: it's crazy easy to drink your calories, which leaves you still hungry enough to eat them too. Milk's not even all that bad: check the label on soda some time. That stuff is liquid candy. Juice makers want you to think their apple juice is the same as eating an apple, but you don't get any of the filling qualities: no fiber, no pulpy bulk filling the belly.

Makes me want to make sure to drink water at my meals: it's an easy way to keep the calorie count lower.

2 comments:

Dorine said...

yep, chocolate milk is costly, regular milk is pretty costly too, but I like a glass now and then anyway. Makes me feel like I am getting some good calcium. (so I can't spell!!) :) I think that in moderation, milk is a good thing. but, as an adult, a couple of glasses a day covers you.

misskate said...

Mmmmmmm.... water :)
Speaking of, I should go fill up my bottle.....

Tickers!

Ritsumei

misskate


Emma

Dorine
OldLady25