Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Gathering Momentum

I picked up running again, to go with my efforts at putting more veggies and less sweets in my mouth. So far, it's going really well. Today was Day 3 of that Runner's World training program. I haven't had to repeat a day to get it yet: first try all the way! I'm feeling pretty good about that, let me tell you! I think that the furthest I've been into that program is Day 8 or so, so I'm going to start out with a modest goal: Make it to day 10. Someday, I want to run a 5k, but I'm not worrying about that right now. Right now I'm working through the issues that keep me sabotaging myself. Like fear of miscarriage and gluttony. Things that happen in my head that keep the food going in the mouth or the feet off the treadmill.

I'm coming to the conclusion that weight loss isn't really so much about calories (though those ARE important) as it is about psychology or something like that. How many times have I started to loose, been making good progress, then let it all slip away and ended up heavier than when I started?? That's not a problem with my ability to loose weight: the weight loss was working. That's a problem with the things that happen between my ears. So I'm trying spending more time on my knees, asking for clarity and help. It worked yesterday. I managed not to eat more than I should.

I'm setting smaller goals: just this week. I want to loose 2 pounds this week. I'm doing that by drinking water and running. Next week will take care of itself when it gets here. I have to Pay Attention or I find myself with a fistful of M&Ms or something and then another and another... But yesterday I made it. I resisted the temptation to sabotage. And I'm not doing too badly today, though I really need to find my water.

5 comments:

misskate said...

Hooray for picking up the running again :) That's excellent. I think you definitely have something there; weight loss is as much in your head as it is in the running shoes. I think that it's very much about finding the motivation that works for you. It sounds like you are doing all the necessary things to find yours! Good luck my dear!!

Ritsumei said...

I'm pleased with how things are going, but I'm starting to think that motivation alone isn't enough. I need to loose to get pregnant. That's definite motivation! But in spite of that I keep sabotaging myself. I'm having to face my issues in dealing with my body, with food, with self-worth, all that sort of thing. And being aware of that is helping me to make better progress than I was there for a while.

misskate said...

How goes the running?

Ritsumei said...

Poorly. But I've been on the bike a lot this week. Ya think we can keep from blowing it while we're all celebrating this weekend?

misskate said...

**Fingers Crossed** Let's hope so :)

Tickers!

Ritsumei

misskate


Emma

Dorine
OldLady25