Friday, April 12, 2013

Food Addiction Blog?

Last night our RS put on a Food and Nutrition Night with a registered dietician and fitness consultant. Very fancy. But I was so grateful, because it has been on my mind. A lot.
I am reading a book about a lady's love of horses and how her horses gave her the strength to look at herself closely and realize she was an alcoholic. They gave her the motivation to stop drinking so she could be a better provider for them. It's a very interesting read and I picked it up not realizing that it was about her struggle with alcoholism. I thought it was about her love of horses and blah, blah, blah.... I'm interested in horses. But what it really turned out to be was an eye opener. The author describes her realization of the problem and how it affected her life and somewhere around 100 pages in I realized that, if you were to exchange food/sugar for every time she wrote alcohol, she was describing me.
At the activity last night, I talked very briefly to the speaker about food addiction. It's real. It's not just in my head. It's something that will be just as hard as a cocaine addiction to overcome. She recommended the church's 12-step program. It was so nice to know that I'm not just lacking the discipline to stop over-eating. That is the case, but that's not the only obstacle to overcome and she pointed me in the right direction to start.
I'm thinking of starting a new blog - one that I will commit to actually posting on a regular basis - to write my thoughts and be accountable for putting some serious effort into fixing this problem. I have the manual for the church's 12-step program and I have read skimmed over it but didn't figure out how to apply it to me. I want to figure it out, get some more materials and learn about nutrition and how I really should be eating instead of just taking a shot in the dark. No more yo-yoing. No more emotional roller coaster rides. And *hopefully* I won't pass this problem to my children through my bad example.

2 comments:

misskate said...

That is interesting. I've sometimes wondered if it were possible to have an eating disorder that was the opposite to anorexia (cuz sometimes I think I do).. and "food addiction" seems a likely fit. Maybe I should check out the 12 step program too. Maybe that'd help me understand better.

Ritsumei said...

I've seen the Church's 12-setp stuff do wonders. I've even looked at it regarding my own eating habits once. It's not a bad way of looking at it.

Certainly you could go get a new blog and then you'd have full control over the thing... or you could stay here and we can continue to collaborate & support each other and so on. I guess that I don't see any of what you're talking about as being incompatible with the original goals of this blog. I'm hoping y'all will stay... it's nice to support each other. And I like our apple, but I'm not married to the look or the format or anything. If you need changes to make it work, can we talk & try before you go?

Tickers!

Ritsumei

misskate


Emma

Dorine
OldLady25