Monday, May 4, 2009

Take it Outside

I'm struggling to make the kind of life-style changes that will make loosing weight & keeping it off possible. Recently, I was praying about it and felt prompted to spend more time outside.


Once upon a time, there was a Mom who had a daughter that liked to read. (That would be me.) Mom, from time to time, would say to the young girl, "You need to go outside to play." Seated on the coziest corner of the couch, with her nose well buried in a fat book, the young girl probably didn't even hear her Mother until she'd said it at least three times. But eventually, if the Mother persisted, she would look up and say, "What?" Sometimes, the Mother was persistent enough that she would actually end up outside. Upon finding herself in the Great Outdoors, the girl commenced to search for a corner as soft as the couch to sit upon. Preferably, a corner without bugs. This was a difficult thing to find, and the girl very seldom found it. Sometimes, she would sit on the cement stairs and try to read comfortably there, but it never seemed quite as appealing as the coziest corner of the couch. In addition, there always seemed to be ants, spiders, and bees on the porch. So she would go back inside to the couch to continue her story, much to the Mother's frustration.


Yeah. I wasn't much of an outdoorsy type. I'm better now. Discovering gardening did a lot for me. And having flowers just outside my living room window, flowers that attract big fluffy bumbles, has also helped with the whole bug thing. And doing nature study with Monkey is also a lot of fun; I'm learning tons. But I often still feel that old "What am I supposed to DO out here?" feeling that used to bring me back inside so quickly. But it makes sense that getting outside will help with increasing my overall activity level. So Maulbeere and I brainstormed some ideas for Things To Do Outside.

And today is 2 days in a row that I've been outside.

3 comments:

misskate said...

Yay! Yeah, outside is good stuff. I liked your list, it seems very comprehensive and covers most everything I could think of too. Plus it's just fun to be out in the sunshine.. Sunshine brings all sorts of goodness: Vitamin D helps the bones and happiness sensors.. plus they say that one should get at least 4 minutes of direct sunlight daily, it helps keep your brain alert and healthy

Ritsumei said...

I must admit, I've been feeling pretty good this week. Maybe it's the sunshine. I'll probably have to start using sunscreen on the two of us, with all this time outside.

Here's an example of the Tender Mercies of the Lord: I'm not nearly as bothered by the bees this week as usual. I'm hoping that will continue. Got buzzed tonight, and was nervous for a bit, but then I realized it was just a bumble, and felt much better. I even stayed calm about a hornet that checked out the bird feeders while I was standing there. Not just still, but actually internally calm. I'm feeling very blessed!

misskate said...

That's awesome :)

I definitely am an advocate for sunscreen (and moisturizing)... even if you can't see it, sun can dry out and damage skin and that can cause problems down the road and nobody wants that.

Tickers!

Ritsumei

misskate


Emma

Dorine
OldLady25